Saturday, January 30, 2010

God of Protection

It's amazing to think it's been 1 week since our reunion with the kids!!
If you had asked me on Monday or Tuesday I would have said our lives were turned upside down and every which way. They were doing good..........but I was completely exhausted from everything. I can't even describe how mentally, emotionally, and physically over loaded I was. If I tried to write anything..........I couldn't come up with adequate words. If I tried to even talk........I would just cry. I was in bed and sleeping by 8:30 many times.................and wondered what had happened to our world. But, here after only a week, I'm feeling more like 'myself', and can honestly say.........Life is Good.........God is Good!
So I have some random thoughts from the week and some God moments I thought I'd share.....

My favorite thought is..........'Our God is not a God of destruction, rather a God of protection'. God didn't cause this terrible earthquake, but in it all He had an awesome plan of protecting His children. They have been protected and I'm thrilled to be part of God's plan for their life. It doesn't just end in a 'happy ever after reunion'.........there are some challenges in our adjustment.............and there are some pleasant surprises.........but in all we can ....TRUST GOD.

God moments:
On Tues...the day of the Haiti Earthquake....I was out shopping in the morning. This was before anything had even happened. I found this fuzzy, cuddly teddy bear and I bought it for Samar. I knew that was completely absurd to buy something for Samar since it would be like 2 years since she would be home..............but I am a teddy bear lover at heart............and I couldn't resist it when I saw it. Little did I know that she would be using it 10 days later and as I put her to bed tonight..........she is snuggling with it!



Airplane ride......can I just say it was such a blessing to ride on a private plane. Whoever donated it was such a blessing. It was just one less emotional thing to deal with once we were united with our children. It was truly a blessing...........it seems minor and we could have dealt with commercial airlines..........but it was just incredible to not have travel be a whole ordeal.



A couple days after being home, Samar was having her hair braided. As soon as it began she was real sad and began sobbing and even started fighting against it. When we didn't know what else to do to communicate.............Molly and Joyce from GLA called on my cellphone to check up on us and see how the kids were doing. You should have seen the kid's grins. They were so thrilled to hear from Molly and Joyce. It was only God's timing because we were able to communicate in the moment and Samar was brave and finished getting her hair done. But it was amazing to hear from them and what a blessing to know they are a phone call or email away.


Bedtime. I didn't know whether we'd be up all night with screaming kids or what.........but we are ALL sleeping. We do bedtime......books, songs, prayers.......and kids are out sleeping between 7 or 8. This is a huge blessing. I needed my sleep this week...... and it's awesome to see the kids all snuggled up and sleeping at the end of the day.


Family and friends. I'm so thankful for everyone. I'm not very good at accepting help, so I'm so thankful for everyone, as I was probably more overwhelmed with everything. My sisters went to IKEA and got a bed, along with pillows and a few things we needed. That was a huge blessing. Friends that came and met the kids. Meals brought over. A Friend that prayed over one of the kids. Friend that sang with Samar. Clothes for the kids. A clean house--(thanks mom). A cousin that kept us up to date with info. We have just been so blessed. We have been blessed to form friendships with other adoptive families and I'm looking forward to continueing them so the kids can see other families 'like ours'.


Let me tell you a bit about the kids. Samar is delightful. She talks all day long. I wish I knew what she was saying...LOL..She sings all the time. She's full of energy and joins right in with Alyssa and Austin. She has a beautiful smile. We had gone back and forth on how to pronounce her name.............but she has let us know..............'me is Sa Mah. Not Sa Mar. So there it is........the R is silent and it's pronounces SaMah. Aidan.........yes we are calling him Aidan... eventually. It's been a slow process with the name change because having both of them at the same time makes it tricker when Samar says.... 'no, it's Manuel'. But eventually he will be Aidan. He is a little more shy. Most of the time he is being carried by Alyssa.........our mother hen. And he loves it!! He runs around and joins in the hollaring............but also spends a portion of the time just sitting by mom and dad. He is not a fan of Bella yet, but we're working on that. Bella seems to understand and keeps her distance but hopefully it won't stay an issue. Did you pick up that I said he joins in the hollaring................our house noise level has increased. I jokingly say I have 2 kids that don't understand me, and 2 kids that don't listen.....LOL.......

Today we ventured to the aquatic center. I think dad was getting a little stir crazy at home. Can I just say Paul has been the best husband this week. He was home the majority of the time and let me sleep and took care of the kids, and took the kids to school..........he has been the best! He gave us the option of going outside----in 11 degrees, or go to the aquatic center. Well, since our membership expires tomorrow---we opted for swimming. And let me just say.......it was awesome!!! The kids loved it. Both of them loved the water. It was just a great time to get out and do something...........I think just a mental break for us parents!!

Well......i think that's enough for now. As this week has finished.............I feel very blessed.
And now if you can just imagine Samar saying this..........in her thick Haitian accent and deep voice........THANK-YOU JESUS.... All I can say is.....................AMEN!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What an inspiration you and your family are! How neat to see God's plan for your life and His perfect will. What a blessing you are to Aiden and Samar and the family you are raising them in to love the Lord! I am praising God with you! Congratulations on your beautiful family!

Jamie Nienhuis

DeLynn Unema said...

Thank you for you detailed update!! I so often wonder how you are doing and how the kids are adjusting and how your first two kids are adjusting. I've been praying for all of you!! I'm sure you are exhausted by the end of the day!! How could you not be? I am so happy for you and for the blessing you are to Samar & Aiden. How cool for you whole family to share this with these kids. May God continue to bless you in this adventure!! I cannot wait to meet them when the weather is nicer and you come to play on 37th Street :) See you then if not sooner! ~DeLynn