Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Bedtimes

I've been reading this excellent book about parenting your adopted child. So last night the chapter I read was talking about sleep and how your child reacts at bedtime and through out the night can communicate signs of their attachment. For instance, if a child goes to bed perfectly, sleeps in bed, and stays in bed until you get them out of bed.............in no short of words, that's a bad thing, from what i"m gathering. Basically it's normal for kids to want to be by their parents, and ask for the one more song, or one more drink, or come to mom and dad in the middle of the night...................but if they don't have the knowledge that someone is there to help them..........their "coping" behaviors kick in and they deal with it themselves. They don't depend on mom and dad to comfort them..............
I love the book, it's full of valuable info.......................and not to make light of any of this info...................................................but I'd have to say Alyssa and Austin are fully attached to us. They have no trouble stalling at bedtime or waking us up in the middle of the night!!!!!!!!! I just had to laugh!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Ryan said...

That made me smile :) I'll think of that next time Kendra is sobbing at her door not wanting to go to bed and how frusterated I get. I just have to think how much she loves and wants her mom and dad!!!!
Jamie

Kristin said...

Thank you Marissa, this is good news for us on the otherside of the globe in China. Megan uses every stall tactic possible before bed. Although she seeks Kristin for the aid, comfort, or care, I feel much better about the attachment. We are progressing and she is a complete doll. Thank you. Blessings, Kyle.