Monday, October 19, 2009

Denying Oneself

Today i'm feeling so torn over causes that are sooo good. I have a pile of things we've received in the mail lately of organizations doing fundraisers. LPC, Beacon of Hope, Bethany Christian Services, Rescue Mission, Boys and Girls club, GLA, GLOW, Children of the Nation.............. I was looking through them and thinking about what we could afford to do and just feeling so overwhelmed by how many people are in need. I'm feeling so blessed, and yet there is a hurting world out there. It is my desire that each of these organizations are blessed with people who are passionate about them and able to support them. That they are able to reach many more than they could imagine. I just can't help and think how God wants the person who's life is filled with despair to be shown a life of hope...........

Of course I couldn't help and thing about this benefit concert that GLA is having. I know the orphanage has been going through alot of hard times. The economy is just terrible, things break as they do in life, generators are going out, vehicles are needed to transport families to airport and courts, and just basic necessities for the kids. They have never made it a requirement for families to pay a monthly $ amount, but I know that as adoptions are taking longer and longer, the cost doesn't cover as much as it use to. Of course having 2 kids at GLA my heart just breaks over their constant struggles. I was trying to think of a tangible way to get my family involved with giving. I guess if, as parents, we write out checks to organizations it only becomes a financial strain on us, but hasn't taught the kids anything. Since they are very aware about adoption and GLA I thought it would be good to get them involved with this one. To give to someone else, means to deny something for yourself. But it's hard to grasp the idea of denying something for yourself. We don't go out and buy toys just because, we really have the bare essentials of clothes, we make by with the basic sets of shoes, our couches are 10+ years old..............we really aren't a lavish family to begin with because that just isn't us.................so it's hard to wrap our arms around denying .............so from Nov. 1 until Nov. 13 of the benefit concert we were going to cut down our grocery bill. I'm not sure what that means yet. Maybe it will be beans and rice. I want it to be something that the kids will know they are giving up to help someone else. Maybe you could join us...........we'd love your prayers in our venture.

God never blesses an individual just for that person's exclusive benefit. God calls each of us to be a blessing to others

3 comments:

Senora Haglund said...

this very topic is on my mind ALL THE TIME!
what we sometimes do for the grocery bill is to "eat everything in the house"..it might mean some weird meals and a lot of pasta, or some weird combinations...but we try this before we go grocery shopping...usually we can last much longer than we thought.
Cathleen

Jaime said...

Thanks for the good idea. We share your heart with wanting to give to every cause. There are so many great ones out there! We have had discussions about how Christmas is going to be simple this year. Every year we seem to have that intention, but then don't follow through. This year the girls each get 3 gifts and get to give a donation to the charity of their choice. I do think this adoption has been a great eye-opener for our entire family. I'm praying we don't go back to a "typical" American family once our kids are home and life goes on. I just can't think we will. Keep us posted as to how it goes with your food changes!

Amy S said...

Thanks for sharing this idea. It's so great and beautiful! (not to mention Biblical). :) I think we're going to borrow your idea with our family and even with our youth group.