Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Brown eyed Princess

Little did I know how much a book would affect the rest of my life.

A book was left in our mailbox at church about Haitian restevex. i kind of shrugged my shoulders and thought I'd read part of it.....why not. Paul asked how the book was and i guess I could only summ it up by saying.............'it's not very exciting, not really a good read, it talks about horrible terrible stuff this child had to live through, it was gross, disgusting. unimaginable.........but I guess the bottle line I take away from the book is............kids just want a home. Everyone just wants to be part of a family. Even when they get to be adults the bottom line is they just want to be loved and wanted.'

At some point around this time I do remember seeing a lovely little girls picture come across with kids in Haiti. Her smile caught me........but my mind thought...... 'how lovely, what a lucky family to adopt this girl...........but it's not for us right now'........

Life zooms by and we get busy with moving. Maybe all the events that factored into us moving all brought us to the point God wanted us............I don't know. But since we moved to a house with a 4th bedroom, we jokingly said we'd have to fill it and use it for God. But frankly, maybe I've said this too, having more kids by adoption costs more money.........I guess if we were going to have another child it would be because God wanted us to...........

The same day we were closing and moving in our house...........a list appears of kids waiting in Haiti. Well---wouldn't you know it..........the same lovely girl was still waiting and this time there was a grant offered with her. I seriously felt like she was waiting for us, my heart did a little leap. We looked into her information and prayed about it. It was actually Paul who opened up and asked someone to pray for us about it first, and yet somehow in the mists of praying for her and seeing her...............it made me fall in love with her and I just knew she would complete our family. Once Paul and I had decided we were open to it.............I left her picture on the counter to see what reaction I'd get form the kids. Alyssa asked about it and her response was..........'mom can we adopt her. Please, please. Please say YES before someone else does.' It was just even more of a confirmation that even the kids were open to more.

So maybe you're wondering what a book has to do with anything...........well I think it helped shaped my thinking...........life isn't going to be perfect...........adopting a 5, now 6 year old is going to be messy...............she hasn't had a perfectly loving home...........life has been hard....................but I do know that we would love her to be in our family....................somehow God opened our eyes to a very beautiful brown eyed princess............




1 comment:

Crystal Deters said...

Okay, you can make me cry in the middle of a Wednesday afternoon. Your blog words do so much to inspire and motivate me. Thanks for them. You have such a way with words, what a gift.