Saturday, November 14, 2009

Dissappointed

I was so looking forward to a great weekend......................a great night at the Selah and Avalon concert, Haitian gathering, talking with fellow adoptive parents, and we also had a church event of Feed My Starving Children---packaging food to send to Haiti, family gatherings, pizza, lasagna dinner..............and as we were walking out the door friday night................... I got the stomach flu. YUCK!!
I am just so disappointed. This was suppose to be a fun weekend--I can't tell you how disappointed I am............I guess to all the families I was so excited to meet and connect with, I hope to meet another time and I wish all of you the best with your adoptions. Maybe another time..........






Well, this weekend really shouldn't have surprised me. We haven't really been healthy during our Nov. 1-13 family challenge. We wanted to make it a learning experience of sharing with others and sharing what we had, but the logistics never quit worked out as well as we wanted. The idea of doing rice and beans was put on the back burner when Austin was sick. He had a fever for 6 days and was down on the couch for 9 days. We had a couple days of health and then I get the stomach flu and Austin followed right behind me in the middle of friday night with the stomach flu. So, it's hard enough to do something like rice and beans when life is normal and you're healthy, but it's much harder when Austin was sick and wasn't really eating those days anyway. But I guess on another subject of poverty--it give you a better perspective of how it might feel to be sick and not have all your needs met, but that another subject.
So we came up with a plan B, the idea of a "fast" from something we enjoy so that we can pray for the event. So we started that idea and took all candy away and no TV. (2 weak points for the kids) Mind you-- candy the day after Halloween was kind of tough. But to some extent the idea of candy gone while being sick and the idea of not having tv while being sick------somehow nothing seemed to work. (We'll have to look for other concrete ways to teach the kids............somehow I think the devil didn't want us to do all this, and we were the lucky people to get sick with it all going around) Anyways..........................we did pray for the event during those 13 days. And I hope it helped open peoples eyes to the children that are waiting for families and for the needs of GLA as the tirelessly give of all their time and energies to our kids.

As far as my wednesday morning prayer, that is something that can be done---sick or healthy :) It's actually been a great time to specifically pray for different aspects of adoption. Whether it be for our processes, or for the adjustments that will be part of the process. It's easy to foster general prayers, but to specifically have a talk time with Jesus---it's a new feeling. I guess I can say it's been a blessing in disguise. It's something that can only grow and be part of my life. Sometimes I get scared about what we are getting into with older kids adoption, and i think somedays prayer might be the only way we make it, so this has been a good thing.

2 comments:

Jaime said...

I thought you were going to be there and wondered when I didn't see you what had happened. I hope everyone is feeling better now, and hope to meet you in the future!!

Senora Haglund said...

HI! Totally wished we could have met. I did meet your husband and your daughter told me what happened :-)
next time!
Cathleen