Friday, February 27, 2009

Childlike Honesty

I was tucking Alyssa into bed the other night. She was being a little funny and thinking she didn't need mom to tuck her in. Of course I eat that all up. I start smoothering her with kisses and singing love songs to her. I told her no matter how old she was I'd always tuck her in and love her because she will always be one of my babies...............Then she breaks down and starts crying.......just sobbing.........and she was saying, "mom I'm so excited to have Aidan home, but it's going to be different. I mean I have friends that are black, but mom, am I going to love a black brother?.....I want to love him.......... but I've never hugged a black brother before......I want to ............and what if I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and don't see him and I bump into him? (okay--I chuckled to myself with that last question)....and mom I want to give him a family...........I'm just scared."
Oh, that just melted my heart. Just her honesty. I told her that I had some of those same thoughts too. That's I've never had a black baby to snuggle and hold tight. And I've never had a little black boy crawl in bed on Saturday morning with all of us before. And yes it is different, but that God would help us. That God would let us see Aidan for who he is and not his color. In no time we'll see him as our brother and not as someone different.
I'm sure each of us have thought this before. I'm sure our families has wondered how it will go... Yes---- we will official become a multi-cultural family. I'm sure there will be challenges we face with it. I'm sure we'll get lots of looks.......... My favorite saying is.............'it is what it is"..............this is our family and God brought us together....... We're in it together.
As I get to know other families in the blogging world that have adopted, I absolutely LOVE seeing family pictures that aren't cookie cutter perfect and all the same. It's a good picture of God's family.

2 comments:

Amy said...

That is so precious!

John said...

We are excited for him to be part of our family. A quilt has been made for him and we think of him as "ours" when we pray for our family. The words of babes......