Sunday, December 7, 2008

Thanksgiving Reflections

Okay, this is so last week's news, but before I jumped in Christmas I just wanted to reflect on Thanksgiving. We had a great time of reflection that week. Let me talk about Haiti in general for a moment, and not specifically about adoption. We definately feel tied to Haiti because Aidan lives there, but we've also developed a special place in our lives for the people of Haiti and referring to the state of poverty they are in. Our church had a Hungar for Haiti challenge in which we ate beans and rice for the 3 days prior to Thanksgiving. It was a time of reflection of what a typical Haitian might eat and ultimately so we can be in prayer for them, as well as prayer for our hearts towards them. I have to say it was powerful stuff. I can't even imagine life without all we have. On a physical side, I felt terrible just eating beans and rice. Not only was I hungary, but I had a terrible headache and really was miserable. Wow---what an eye opening experience. But the devotion that really struck me the most that week was something that was printed from Amy Sherman, author of Sharing God's Heart for the Poor............
"We would feel embarrassed to wait in line publicly for a hand-out of free food. We would be in anguish to watch our child starving to death, having no means to earn bread for her. And if we would feel all these things if we were 'in the shoes' of the poor person,.............then we must understand that he feels them too. We must not allow ourselves to believe that 'they' are somehow fundamentally different from 'us', and that while we would be pained to live their life, they are 'used to it' and so not bothered by it."

WOW!!! How often haven't we thought that..............that 'they' are use to it..........It's easy to think that Haitians in poverty are lucky to be getting beans and rice each day, but wouldn't it be even better if they could have more than that? Wouldn't we want more than that? And then it goes hand in hand with the quote..................."The Lord provides everything that everyone needs...........it's just up to us to share it, or distribute it"
This really goes against all that the culture shouts out to us. Going into Christmas it's so easy to get wrapped up in the me, me, me mentality.............but Thanksgiving was a great time to think about all we have and how we can share what we have.
And then to totally blow my selfish thinking...........one afternoon when I was crabby and cranky from not eating 'normal' I thought...............'i'm just going to sit for a minute and drink my water bottle and maybe some tea'...............and that whole thought process hit me like a ton of bricks that many Haitians don't have that luxury of clean water to drink at any given time, and the idea of a comfy cushiony couch is probably not happening either. We are so blessed. There was so many thoughts that came up that week, it was a great reflection time.

On a side note, Austin said that day that he was thankful for Aidan. I couldn't help think that being thankful for Aidan also meant being thankful to God for his leadings, being thankful that God is a God who knows our thoughts and directs our actions, thankful that God is alive and active in our lives, and thankful that God is amazing. Because without all this, Aidan wouldn't be part of our lives. I'm thankful for Aidan as well!!
I'm thankful for Alyssa and Austin too.............

No comments: