Wednesday, December 15, 2010

it's BIRTHDAY season!!!!!

Today........and for the next week.........our house is filled with an 8, 7, 7, and 3 year old. No wonder I'm going crazy!!!
Austin turned 7 today. That just seems like a "growing up" number to me for some reason.







I learned 2 things today about kids and birthdays though.

first---December birthdays are not ideal.

Second---Kids like to get more than one present on their birthday. In my mind I know Austin will be getting like 10 gifts between Christmas and birthday parties, so we got him one thing. But to him, this was his first party and he was a little disappointed like.....'i only get one present'......oopss!! I don't even think it was a greedy thing. just the shear pleasure of having your birthday as a kid and wanting to open up presents....Even if it's a book, or candy or whatever...

okay, three things. Third---my kids love waking up to balloons and streamers in their bedroom. I've always done that in the past, but today it slipped my mind because he was getting a single balloon and going out for lunch with dad, but he asked why he didn't get the balloons and streamers in his bedroom.

oh, and fourth----to make one of his "top choice gifts" come from mom and dad on his birthday. We kind of gave him a "lower on the gift list" item since we knew what he was getting later on, and I think that was "disappointing" for him to not get something he really wanted today.

from a kids perspective..........I completely get it!!!! Nope---kids don't have to get everything they want...... and nope---presents don't make you happy............but as a kid-----don't you love it when you get something you really want from your mom and dad?........
So I live and learn!!!!
But regardless of things I learned............I think he had a great day!!

No comments: