Thursday, December 2, 2010

Bye-bye cast

Aidan got his cast off today!! He has broke his arm earlier this fall and had a cast on for the last 5 weeks. So today was a great day!!!






Let me tell you, the cast didn't slow him down one bit! In fact, I think he was proud of having it so it gave him even more confidence to be rough. It's going to be hard to keep him "low key" for this first week without the cast!

So, not too much of an exciting story, but here is how he got it on in the first place:
Paul was gone and I was cleaning up the supper dishes. All the kids were wrestling, and just being crazy in the family room. As the playing was ending, Aidan kind of wimpers and says "owwiee". He was holding his arm by his side, so I assumed he was holding his tummy. So I gave him a hug and asking him if he got kicked in the stomach. I kind of kissed his owwiee and said his tummy would be better. Immediately following that he crawled on the couch and got sleepy, but it was just a few minutes before bedtime so I didn't think anything about it.
He went to bed and slept all night. In the morning he said he had owwies again. And again I was thinking he was holding his stomach. (his arm was by his side) So I pulled his pj shirt up and kissed his tummy and asked if he got hit in the stomach when they were playing. At that point he said........"not my tummy, my arm"
OH! Sure enough. In hindsight, he was holding his arm to his side, not holding his tummy.
So I watched how he acted and sure enough.............he couldn't hold his cereal bowl, he wasn't using his arm........So as I was putting on his clothes for the day I saw his elbow was way swollen. I knew it was broke. So we dropped the other kids off at school, went to the Dr. office, then to the hospital for x-rays, and then on to the orthopedics for a cast!
The orthopedics office was an old stomping ground of mine when I did x-rays, and I knew the Dr., so we did a fun cast. Aidan chose blue and green stripes. He was proud of it. He did real good through the whole thing.
But after 5 weeks, there is nothing like a long tubby either!!!!!

No comments: