Wednesday, December 8, 2010

bah humbug

I'm not very thrilled about the whole commercialized side of Christmas. Frankly it stresses me out and makes me grumpy. I went out to the store with 4 specific things in mind, one for each kid, and do you think I could find any? not one. And to go from store to store is just a waste of time. So I decided we just weren't doing it this year. I'm not shopping around for the perfect gift, I'm not making myself busy til I'm crabby.........
And after all..........it's not OUR birthday.........It's JESUS' birthday. So who should we be buying presents for anyways?
We've heard that lots of times. And at church we talk about it and I get it. But we still do the double sided thing. We give to Jesus, and yet we also go on shopping frenzies just because that is how it is. But really...........something has to change for us. I just don't enjoy the stress of picking out the "perfect" gift and making sure it's "worth" the money. I haven't found a toy worth the money yet..........
I want so much more out of Christmas...

so....... at the table we were talking about our days and one of the kids ask me how my day was. So in a teasing manner I said.........." it was just terrible. I went to buy Christmas gifts for you guys and couldn't find any. Everything is sold out and mom is so sad. It was just terrible. I mean, how can I not get gifts for you guys. It's just a terrible day".....I was being all dramatic and teasing (but deep down very serious) and then of course I ended with........'the only good part about my day was when you guys came home from school and I could see you. that was the best part of my day.." and you know what their response was.........(!!!!!!!)...
"that's okay. it's not worth the gifts mom. We don't want you to have a terrible day. you don't need to go shopping and have a bad day. Seriously mom, don't do that again. we don't need them."

I just love them. I really, really do.

Here are some memories I want to have about enjoying Christmas. Having a sleep over by the Christmas tree and watching movies. (We DID do this last weekend.) Baking cookies. Haven't done that yet, but hope to with family. Playing outside, and building snow fort. Enjoying life!!! Listening to Christmas music while playing games or veggin out. Having "homemade" ornaments hanging on the tree. Taking the time to bring cookies over to someone and maybe having a special ornament or something thoughtful with it, instead of something store boughten. ENJOYING a cup of hot cocoa and stirring it with a candy cane. Okay......so the best things don't come by rushing around. the best things come with taking the time. Scheduling the fun stuff so it can actually happen......

No comments: