Sunday, May 9, 2010

Where to start

So much good happened this weekend, it's hard to know where to start. I usually like to write about one thought, but since so much went on this weekend...........I just need to start from the beginning.........
Friday was pizza with Dixie!! Dixie---GLA's director---was in town, so we had a gathering and spent the evening talking with all the friends we've made in our Haitian adoptions. It was so good to see other families and touch base with them. I just think it's so good. It actually brought back lots of emotions about the whole event. I just found myself more emotional and on the verge of tears for a day or 2 just having it right there again. What was just so amazing was to see all these kids..............having been home for only 4 months.................all doing great. In some ways being confident and sufficient to play on their own..............so that the adults could sit and talk with Dixie. Who would have thought? Dixie talked about how things happened for her from the time the earthquake happened until the kids came home, and also since the kids have left. She talked about how God took care of them, and just how they were able to prove each child was connected with a family, and how she really fought to get the kids in through immigrations and allow them to come to our families and not have to go to foster care in Florida while papers where straightened out............and on and on. Just each tiny step was ALL taken care of. EVERY detail to making sure our kids came home was in God's hand. I'm in AWE just thinking about it and humbled that we ever question if we are being taken care of. Then we were all able to talk about how the events were for us, or what really hit us. It was just truly, truly amazing to hear how God had protected the kids, and just how each child was involved in such "God moments" for families. Just to hear about the 'miracle babies' who were thought to be on their death bed and questioned if they should board the airplane or not and today the child is thriving and crawling and full of life. The mom who just knew her son would be home for Christmas..............and guess what..........they were celebrating Christmas in January and their son WAS home for their Christmas. And another mom who said just how much she was in awe that her daughter was born in a dirt hut to a houseworker...............and 3 years later she was flying to their home on a private jet and being treated like a royal princess------God is going to have great things for His little princess. And for us..........I think our miracle in all this was just being able to have Samara home........NOW. We couldn't have endured 2 more years. We just couldn't have. It's amazing to have her home.............AMAZING!! And the stories went on...............the connections and friends made in those days of uncertainty and in the whole event. And I had to chuckle because EVERYONE mentioned how in those 10 days of waiting for what was going to happen that we were ALL GLUED to our computers and unable to function. But it was the truth. We weren't dealing with life during those days and I don't think we'll ever comprehend how drastic life changed and just the full impact of it. The deep emotions that were felt and have followed that event. It was just good to be together on friday. Very good! In August there will be a Haiti reunion---looking forward to that.

Then Saturday was a huge event. Paul graduated!!! For the last 1.5 to 2 years he had been taking classes for his MBA............and he is at the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay----I don't even know how I functioned in life from January til April....................I have no idea how he was functioning with work and school and home life. But he did, and he did awesome---straight "A's". I'm so proud of his determination and hard work. As I think back over the last 2 years, he never missed the bedtime stuff and evenings with the kid DUE to homework. He had his usual night he was in class, or other events and commitments.............. but never did he just take off and go study during prime evening. It was always early, early or late, late. I still always had my tea at night with him. I'm just so thankful for him and for family being his priority. So I'm sure it won't sink in for a bit, because he isn't OFFICIALLY done til June 1, but it won't take long to fill his extra time with house jobs :) So hats off to Paul!! And we had a fun dinner to celebrate---we all went to a Japanese steak house. The food was great...........and the kids loved the 'entertainment'...........it just went great and had a ton-o- fun!



Okay--then to top it off..............it was Mother's Day today. I had flowers that the 3 older ones planted in school---so that was lovely. They brought me breakfast while I got ready for church, I got to choose everything for the day.............what we had for lunch...........then we went for a walk at the dunes---and it was a beautiful day out, we just got lost in the time while playing on the beach. I'm not sure if Paul bribed them..........or threatened them...............LOL...........but I'd hear..."remember, it's mom's day, she can choose"....and there was no complaining about what I chose. So that in itself was a priceless present.
Though as I end thinking about Mothers Day.........I think about what someone else said today----It can be a complex day as well. I"m overwhelmed to think my kids are here with me, and not still waiting for a mommy. We're so blessed to have our moms that take care of us yet, because no matter how old you are----you still need your mom. And my wishes to all my friends who are moms. Those who recently became a mom, or been moms for years. For my sisters who are all amazing. (both sides of sisters) For our birthmoms---who are so special. My wishes to those who have lost babies and kids, and those who have lost moms. And my heart breaks for those who yearn for a child, or for those kids who still yearn for a mommy. God has a special place in His heart for every single one out there. So no matter where you are..............blessings!!!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

You are an amazing woman. You inspire me! Sarah Z.