Monday, May 31, 2010

my graduates!!

We had kindergarten graduation last week. It's an incredible evening of celebrating all they have learned over the last year. The graduation is a big deal at our school...........kind of a long tradition. The kids do a "show" for us in which they incorporate some fun story, but it includes a great message and also they get to "show off" stuff they have learned. Meaning they include memory verses, songs, math facts, reading...........all sorts of things they have learned. It's an evening of fun watching the kids, but also very touching when you get to see a video slid show of the kids and hear all they have learned. They actually walk down the aisle to the "pomp and circumstance" which is enough to bring the tears on. They even give parents a flower! And they get to receive a diploma and gift bag.................a truly memorable night.

When we went through the graduation with Alyssa, it was just truly meaningful because it was our "first". It was this big milestone that our "first" was going to be in school full time for all the years to come. It was hard to believe our little girl had grown up to 1st grade already.
This time I went to the evening kind of knowing what was in store. Even though I knew what the evening looked like, I was still super excited. As I sat there looking at the kids, I realized just how special this class was also. See, I was able to be part of this class for about a month of their school year as I helped Samara transition into school. I had gotten to know most of the kids and see how they all function...............and just to see all their personalities. Each of them having their own strengths and gifts. I wish kids could see that...............EACH of them have strengths and gifts. There isn't ONE that is BETTER. They are ALL valuable!! wow----it really was amazing. It's a great group of kids!
I often wondered how Austin was at school. After being in school with him, I was able to see strengths in him so much clearer. Instead of worrying about maybe his weaknesses, I could see that there are many things that he is amazing at. It gave me a glance at what an amazing kid he is and I'm so excited to see how he continues to grow.

And as I sat there I thought of what an INCREDIBLE blessing our school has been. I was a little nervous having Samara go to school at first. There is no denying that everyone knew who she was. She was different, didn't know English as well, needed some social graces, and just new coming in the middle of the year. Yet just how she had been completely accepted and welcomed. I cannot even say enough about what an amazing teacher and aid she had this year. Her teacher just welcomed the challenge of Samara and she WANTS to see Samara succeed. I'm just so grateful for such a positive experience.

And then as I sat there I just couldn't believe what an amazing girl Samara is. 4 months. 4 months of being home and 2.5 months of school. She was amazing to watch and see how much she has learned. And she just had such delight in her face and so proud to be part of it. We really debated about starting school this year or waiting til the fall, and I just think it was the best thing. She was having such fun being part of graduation and I think it's a great memory for her to have. She is a girl of fierce determination and she is going places in this world! And she looked beautiful up there doing her stuff!! She has an energetic personality that just draws you to her smile.
So in this year of being done with Kindergarten..............the kids have grown and become these amazing boys and girls. My prayer is that God continues to guide them and be in their lives.......forever!









Samara walking down the aisle.


Austin walking down the aisle :)


Samara getting her papers and bag with a huge grin on her face!


Us with 2 amazing kids!!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Congratulations Austin!

Congratulations Samara!

Amy said...

Sooooo cute!!! How very special!

Senora Haglund said...

i love this post. how special for both kids. and really, what a great milestone for samara...some confidence early on can mean so much!
Cathleen