Thursday, May 1, 2008

Then the Referral Came........

On Tuesday April 22 we got a referral. There were ALOT of emotions that came with this referral. After coming back from spring break, part of me was actually feeling like, "what are we doing? and Are we doing the right thing? and Should we do this?" I think there was just so much over whelming feelings and also having had alot of time pass since our initial excitement that it just wasn't what we were expecting to feel.



This is where the story gets to be amazing and God is good!!



My initial feelings were that we couldn't do this. I was ready to throw in the towel and not proceed anymore. In fact in BSF we were studying Jesus in Gethsemane and just saying "take this cup from me, but not my will but yours be done". That was my prayer for a couple days. I went through many emotions and wondering why we have to deal with such hard decisions.
On Sunday as we were walking I said to Paul, "I can't do this, so here is God's fleece.....if this is His will, then someone needs to speak directly to us and not rationalize with us about why we wouldn't do this." Well, wouldn't you know it, we got back in the house and a friend had called. She said she was thinking about us and after her story about her experience, basically it was that everything was going to be good. We'd love this child and couldn't imagine life without him.

Okay---So God knew I needed that! We actually put a list together of 'why we would' VS. 'why we wouldn't' adopt. The 'why we would' list kept getting longer. To name a few, his age---there are tons of 2 year old boys in the neighborhood; his name---it fits right in with having an M for a middle name; the timing of our referral---- God knew exactly what bible studies I'd be studying at the exact time of our decisions; God knew we would be doing training on ''adoption expectations" and needed to hear that-------which was originally scheduled for January (but cancelled due to a snow storm); God gave us awesome Dr.'s to discuss stuff with. Everything was looking like this was God's path.............yet it scared me.

The most amazing part was on Wednesday April 30 I was ready to say NO. I just kneeled down before doing my bible study and prayed for one more assurance because I just couldn't do it. I proceeded with my bible study and God didn't give me one assurance, He gave me multiple assurance. In fact, He gave me 14 specific verses or messages that this was His will. A couple key things were John 15:16 "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit. Fruit that will last" and Luke 19: 21-27--Doing God's will and listening, God will bless us for following His will. And the promise that He anointed us and equips us. He means for us to be used with great effectiveness. He has given life experiences intended to turn into testimonies. God is good!!!

I'm an so thrilled to see how God's plan in going to unfold. We accepted our referral on Thursday May 1.

So let me introduce you to...........______ Manuel Brinks. (first name is not decided yet)
His name is Manuel, which we'll use as his middle name. He is 2 years old, his birthday is Feb. 14, 2006. GLA states, he is a happy boy and likes to smile. He is shy around those he doesn't know. He likes to cuddle and be played with. He likes to feed himself and play with other kids. But he gets angry if kids try to take his cookies. So I'm sure Austin and him will be fighting over who gets the most cookies!!! Oh....and he likes his thumb. Alyssa will think that's cool!

We so look forward to what God has planned for our adventure and this little boys life. It will be a while yet before we can pick him up. In fact I dare not say even up to 1 year, but our prayer is that we can spend Christmas or his birthday with him!!! So pray that the government process will speed up for his arrival at home.

9 comments:

Amy said...

What a beautifully handsome boy to add to our family!!! Thanks for sharing your heart and the process- and letting us glimpse at the work God is doing! Thank you for your testimony :)

Ryan said...

Oh, he is such a cute little boy!! I can't wait to finally meet him! Thank you for sharing your feelings. It touched my heart.

Jamie

Adoption Associates, Inc. said...

Paul and Marissa,

How amazing! There is no better place to be than in the middle of God's will. We are so excited for you and look forward to seeing how God's perfect plan unfolds in your family's life... not to mention excited to have another adorable little boy roaming the neighborhood!

Sara (Troy, Cam, Brett and Gavin too)

John said...

Thank you Marisa. Your love and following the Lord is very evident and I am proud of my daughter (and Husband). God has blessed our family very richly and we look forward to your joy being completed with little Manuel arriving.
Let us know if there is anything else we can do.
Love dad

Cyndy said...

Dear Paul and Marisa,
What a beautiful child...my eyes filled up with tears the moment I saw his picture. James and I have been praying all week for your decision, and I'm so happy to hear that Manuel will be coming home soon. God has chosen him for you, and you for him...what a blessing.
Love,
Cyndy

Crystal Deters said...

Marissa and Paul,
Congrats. We are so happy for you and your family. What a beautiful child. Your testimony to God's leading is reassuring. The will of God can be such a peaceful place to be.
We rejoice with you.
Crystal (and Steve)

Kristin said...

Marissa - God is good ALL the time! All the time GOD is GOOD! I'm so excited for you all and for Manual! It was great to share experiences/feelings about our adoption journey's together on the field trip today. I look forward to more amazing "God" stories and for the completion of both of our adoptions.
Kristin

Jon said...

Congratulations, we can't wait to meet him. What an amazing thing you guys have done.

Brinks Family said...

What a cutie! We can't wait to meet the little guy. Levi saw that he sucks his thumb too and thought that was cool. The cousins can't wait to meet him and we can't either.

Becky & Mark and the boys